8 March 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: International Women's Day!


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely ladies at The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday we create a list inspired by a particular topic! This week is about characters but I've chosen something else! 

I usually stick to the topic but I didn't really care for this week's topic and I figured I'd do something in honor of the international women's day - which is today, March 8th. I therefore want to talk all about my favorite books written by women!

The first one, which is very prominent in the header, is The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I know there's a ton of people out there who hate it, but I absolutely love it! I'm currently rereading it and it's just as good as I remember!
I remember checking it out from the library a couple of years ago and reading it for the first time. It was the first memoir I read and the first nonfiction book I willingly read. It's actually a lot of first and probably also the first book I bought AFTER reading it. I just love it and wish more people would read it!

I read The Violet Hour by Andrea L. Wells last year and I was totally mesmerized and captivated by the story! Usually I don't read about werewolves because, well, the whole Twilight thing, but something drew me towards The Violet Hour and it's so so good!
Also, the author is probably the sweetest person ever! We've been in contact since I read her book in August and I'm actually waiting for my birthday gift to arrive from her - is she not just the kindest and most thoughtful person?

You may also spot Attachments by Rainbow Rowell in the picture but it's more her in general because I've loved everything I've read by her! My copy of her new novella/short story, Kindred Spirits, is in the mail and I haven't picked up Carry On yet. But I've read her first 4 books and every single one is amazing!

I also had to have The Hunger Games on the list because that series made me buy books and got me into reading again! I read a lot when I was younger but then I stopped when I was about 10-11. My best friend forced me to read The Hunger Games for our book club (because I forced her to read another book for book club) and I loved it. I read it in a couple of hours and then I bribed my mother into buying the whole series for my birthday a month later... I then reread the first one and read the other two for the first time. And yes, I have reread them since.

How to Love needed to be on this list too! I'm often thinking about quitting YA but this book makes me keep trying because sometimes there are hidden gems out there! Unfortunately Katie Cotugno's other book, 99 Days, is not a hidden gem and I do not recommend that one.

The last book you can actually see in the picture is A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall and it is definitely a little something different! A love story told by 14 different perspectives but none of those are from the couple themselves! It's cute and I just feel good thinking about it!

J.K. Rowling is definitely also a favorite! Even though I haven't finished her Cormoran Strike series and I didn't appreciate The Casual Vacancy at the time I read it because I didn't read 'adult' books at the time. I grew up reading the Harry Potter series so I couldn't leave it out!

Pride and Prejudice is also one of my favorite books of all-time but Emma and Sense and Sensibility are longer down on the list - but they're there.


I could name many other books written by women which I love, because it turns out I mainly read books written by women, but I feel like this is enough for now! Name your favorite book written by a woman!

2 comments: