22 August 2015

All the series I won't finish

Last month I wrote a post listing all the series I need to finish and I figured that I might as well make a list with all the series I won't finish as well. I've been quite focused on the series lately and I'll probably make a post where I talk about reading series in general as well - so look out for that post!

As I mentioned in the series I need to finish post, I'm not that good at reading series and I sometimes choose not to finish a series even if I've enjoyed the first book in the series. That's just how I am .
Some of these series are great and I know a lot of people enjoy them but they're simply not my cup of tea. There are also some series where I've just forgotten about them and since I don't want to reread them I might as well abandon the series. And for the rest of them I feel like they would be better as standalones so I've chosen not to continue so as not to ruin my view of the book!


Carbon Diaries by Saci Lloyd
The first series I chose not to finish was the Carbon Diaries by Saci Lloyd. The first one was okay and I'd actually borrowed both of them from the library. I really tried reading the sequel but it was not as good as the first one, meaning it was terrible, and I didn't really want to read it.
This was a series I tried to read long before I got into blogging and new there was booktube and book bloggers and such. I've heard no one talk about it since I got into the online book community so I guess not many people like this series. It is quite interesting though!


Matched by Ally Condie
Another series I tried to read before I got into the online book community. I had to read Matched for a book club and I struggled my way through it. I didn't like a single thing about it and I can't even remember what it's about to save my life! So, at the time of reading it I didn't like it and it's not memorable enough to make me remember anything about it a couple of years later so definitely not worth the read for me.


The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
I know there's like a ton of you out there who's completely obsessed with this series but I really don't like it. I managed to read the entire thing but it was a struggle. I loved the idea but the actual thing is not really up my alley.
I think it may have to do with his writing style since I've given up on another series of his.


The Program by  Suzanne Young
Another book where I had high hopes and they weren't reached. I'd been on a waitlist for this book for a couple of months and when I finally received it I checked it out from the library, found a couch in said library and began reading.
I liked the beginning, it was interesting, but it quickly went downhill from there and since then I've had no intention of reading the prequel or sequel.


Study by Maria V. Snyder
I can't for the life of me remember where I heard about this series but I have a feeling it's booktube. I waited impatiently for the book to arrive at my local library and when I received it I managed to read it in a day, even though I didn't like it that much. I remember thinking certain parts where intriguing and that I liked the main character but I had no intention of reading the rest of the series and I still don't.


Heist  Society by Ally Carter
Another series I'd heard nothing but great things about and when I tried to read it I was disappointed. I struggled to get through Heist Society and I don't think I'll ever read the rest of the series.


The Goddess War by Kendare Blake
I absolutely love reading about Greek mythology - even though I've only ever been impressed by one book about Greek gods and mythology - and when I found out that Kendare Blake, author of Anna Dressed in Blood, had written a book with Greek mythology I had to read it! I tried reading it, I really did, and I actually managed to finish it, but it wasn't that good. I was so so disappointed.
I actually read Antigoddess as a buddyread and you can read our discussion here.


Alienated by Melissa Landers
Aliens and blogs.. It sounds quite intriguing and I even managed to buy it as a birthday present for myself and I hate to admit that I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped. It was okay but I really was expecting more!


Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard
I've read the first book; Pretty Little Liars and since I like the show more than the book I figured I might as well continue watching the show instead of reading a 16 book series when I have so many other books to read.
Her Perfectionists duology is quite good though, I have reviews for both books; The Perfectionists and The Good Girls


If I  Stay by Gayle Forman
I really enjoyed If I Stay until the ending.. I'm not going to spoil it for you so don't worry but I didn't like the ending. I tried reading the sequel Where She Went and it was awful. I believe I managed to read a couple of chapters and I'm never picking it up again. I wish If I Stay was a standalone instead. It's perfectly fine on its own.


Legend by Marie Lu
I actually managed to read both Legend and Prodigy before abandoning this series. I remember finishing Prodigy on my birthday and thinking nope, I can't do this. It's a mediocre series in my opinion and I didn't even like the characters or the plotline. I have no idea why I began reading it in the first place.


Fearsome Dreamer by Laure Eve
Fearsome Dreamer was actually the first physical book I ever received for review and I didn't like it.. I figured that since I'm bad at reading series and I didn't like where the story was heading I might as well just stop there. And I did, the series still sound intriguing though.



Other series I won't finish
  • Between by April Genevieve Tucholke
  • Voodoo Nights by Lizzy Ford (review)
  • Killer Instinct by S.E. Green
  • Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (review)
  • The Cure by Charlotte McConaghy
  • Among Us by Anne-Rae Vasquez
  • The PSS Chronicles by Ripley Patton (review)
  • Legacy Code by Autumn Kalquist
  • The Van Wrinkle Project by Karri Thompson
  • Vivian Apple by Katie Coyle (review)
  • Tabitha Baird by Arabella Weir (review)
  • Lumikki Andersson by Salla Simukka (review)
  • Razorland by Ann Aguirre
  • The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
  • Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Is there any series you won't finish? 

4 comments:

  1. I won't be finishing the Hunger Games anytime soon! I genuinely really loved the Hunger Games but struggled to like the others! If you didn't like the Heist Society, perhaps try the Gallagher Girls?

    TheDonkeyInvasion - a Bookish Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sad to hear that you didn't enjoy Catching Fire and Mockingjay since it's one of my favorite series of all time!
      I think I struggle with the writing style in Heist Society so I don't think another of her series will help, but I might check it out anyway. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. OMG! Another person who didn't like The 5th Wave...we are such a minority. I read The Monstrumologist too and couldn't get past the first book. Maybe it is his writing style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are! I struggled my way through.. Well, at least we're not entirely alone anymore!

      Delete