22 February 2014

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
Series: Shatter Me #1
Publication date: November 15, 2011 (first published: January 1, 2011)
Publisher: Harper
Genres: YA Dystopia
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
Pages: 338


Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.



The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.



The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.




Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

I had really high expectations for this book, especially because I have heard so many great things about it. 
I picked up this book and almost read it in one sitting, so it wasn't because it was boring or because it didn't grab me. 

This is going to be a kind of short review, since I did not enjoy this book that much. 

I hated Warner, I seriously thought he was creepy and he gave me chills. In the beginning I hated Adam too, but of course I ended up loving him. I especially loved the fact that he and Juliette has a background, I really appreciate when couples have backgrounds in books, instead of just randomly finding each other and falling in love. 
Also, James, what a sweet little fellow, I adored him.

I love books set in asylums especially when it is mental hospitals, and that is exactly where this book starts. I did not really like the mansion or the world, but the beginning was nice! I actually enjoyed everything I read in the beginning, I loved the way the story started and progressed in the first couple of chapters!

I was beginning to really like this book, and then the last 50 pages ruined it. WHY did it have to turn 180 degrees and turn into the complete opposite? It would have gotten a 4 point something rating if it hadn't ended like it did. 

Since the book turned out as it did, I have to give this book 2 berries, I was debating on whether I should give it 1 heart, but I liked Juliette, Adam and James so I ended up with 2 berries.



I don't know if I want to continue on with the series, if you want, you can try to persuade me into reading the rest - but good luck. 
Challenges: Full House: From the local library
Resolutions: Use the library more / Review all the books I read

No comments:

Post a Comment