28 August 2015

Book Beginnings : All of the Above by James Dawson

Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the beginning of a book we're reading and this week I want to share All of the Above with you guys! It comes out September 3. which is just around the corner! I am currently reading and LOVING the book and it starts out so great!

This is my fourth time doing Book Beginnings and so far it's been great! I've shared the whole first chapter from The Violet Hour by Andrea Wells, I've shared the beginning of both More Than This by Jay McLean and The Monkey's Secret by Gennifer Choldenko and last week Victoria Browne let me share the beginning of both of her books! 
Today you'll get the whole first page from All of the Above and a bit I love from page 5!



A bit about All of the Above
A funny and moving love story about friends, first loves and self-discovery by Queen of Teen 2014.


When sixteen-year-old Toria Bland arrives at her new school she needs to work out who her friends are in a crazy whirl of worry, exam pressure and anxiety over fitting in. Things start looking up when Toria meets the funny and foul-mouthed Polly, who's the coolest girl that Toria has ever seen. Polly and the rest of the 'alternative' kids take Toria under their wing. And that's when she meets the irresistible Nico Mancini, lead singer of a local band - and it's instalove at first sight! Toria likes Nico, Nico likes Toria, but then there's Polly ... love and friendship have a funny way of going round in circles.
Let's start with the first page:

Chapter One
New 
When I was little, a year seemed like the longest thing in the world. Do you know what I mean? Winters, in my head, were snowier than they actually were, while summers were all paddling pools and bubblegum ice pops. And then, as I got older, time almost ground to a halt - staring out of windows; one Netflix episode rolling right into the next; waiting for my friends in America to come online. The last summer before we moved, I can hardly remember going outside at all.
  But then it changed. This year, the fabric of time itself changed, I swear. Bear with me. Although the records show there were indeed 365.24 days, each made of twenty-four hours, I fail to believe they were the same minutes I used to wish away. The metronome switched up a gear, the world turned faster - so much so that these days I find myself desperately clinging to milliseconds as they slip through my fingers like water. If I'm honest, this year was a club remix - it was when the beat kicked in.
  A lot can happen in a year. 
 I've read that page a couple of times now. I love how poetic it is and the writing style is just perfect!

So, on page 5 I realized that me and the main character is going to get along quite nicely and here's why:

I could feel the corner of a book poking into my back through my bag. As I recall I was on my annual reread of Azkaban. You're never truly by yourself when you have a book in your bag. 

There you have it, that's my book beginning this week, remember to leave yours in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying the Friday meme. Starting over can be scary, but what an adventure. Think of the possibilities.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one but it sounds really good. I love that beginning. I am reading Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the author's comparison of time passing to the beat of a metronome, and I assume the book has a musical connection. Hope you enjoy the story!
    My Friday post features Taming Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're enjoying BB, it's one of my favourite memes! I definitely agree that there is a poetic tone to the beginning! And I love the sound of the F56 because you really are never alone if you have a book! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!

    My Friday post

    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete