23 February 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I enjoyed recently which were out of my comfort zone

THE NIGHT CIRCUS AND TELL THE WOLVES I'M HOME (DANISH VERISON)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovely ladies at The Broke and the Bookish. Each Tuesday we have a certain theme and we make a list of books or items inspired by that theme.

Today it's all about the books we've enjoyed recently which were out of my comfort zone. This was bit of a hard topic for me since I read basically everything. The only genre where I don't feel comfortable is erotica and I haven't read any erotica since last year. I tried to make the best of it though.

First I have Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom. This particular book is about a blind girl and I've never read, or rather heard in this case, a book about being blind. I really enjoyed it even though it quickly became all about love and I'd really wished for something else. I recommend it though, it's a spectacular audiobook!

Then I have to choose Us by David Nicholls. I like my adult books but they're usually about people in there 20s or 30s and Us is an old married couple in their fifties! I definitely enjoyed it and I loved how philosophical and beautiful the writing is even though our narrator, Douglas, is a scientist. I particular liked one line; A portrait in words. It's beautiful, right?

I of course had to have The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern on the list as well. It's a beautiful read but I've never read anything like it. I knew next to nothing going in and it's just so so good! We talked long and hard about which age group to put this one in and it fits both YA and adult!

Tell the Wolves I'm Home also deserves a spot! It's such a beautiful book which, like The Night Circus, can be read by all ages. June is such a relatable character even though it takes place in 1937! I love everything about this book and I wish more people knew about it!
Fun fact: My mom, who primarily reads erotica and crime fiction, wants to read this book! Basically everybody I recommend it to or talk to about it wants to read it!

This next one is the one I'm most uncertain about but I figured I'd add it anyway. The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass.. I feel a bit bad for saying this but I often put a book down if the main character is a brat and truly annoying - Eadlyn is possibly the most annoying character I've ever come across and I managed to finish it and even give it the highest rating! The Selection series is my guilty pleasure - it's quite bad but very enjoyable.

Lastly I have a graphic novel. I wish I was one of the people who loved graphic novels, I truly want to be, but I just don't enjoy them! I loved Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death though. I'm still in the mood for a reread because it was just that good. Trust me, I don't often say that about a graphic novel.


Which book have you enjoyed recently which were out of your comfort zone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment