Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon happens twice a year; in April and October. Read more about Deweys and participate here.
I love readathons and my favorite is definitely Dewey's! I love the fact that it takes place over 24 hours instead of a weekend or a week. I'm much more focused and, even though I haven't been awake for the complete 24 hours yet, I prepare snacks, books, even clothes - I definitely make it a big occasion! I want this one to be the best one yet!
My reading stack
I'm really looking forward to the books in my pile! I have 5 books and 2 novellas;
- My 2 novellas are Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell - which I've saved for this occasion - and Black Box by Jennifer Egan!
- The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani is definitely at the top of my pile - it might be the first one I pick up! I love fairy tales and a fast paced middle grade should do the trick for a readathon!
- The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig arrived on Thursday and I immediately put it on my TBR for Dewey's! I didn't expect it to arrive already but, since it did, I can read it NOW!
- Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman. I found this in a second hand bookshop a few weeks ago and I knew it would be a perfect read for a readathon! It's a thriller about a guy who've brutally raped and murdered a young girl, he then gets married and 13 years later new evidence surfaces and he's in the search light. I find it intriguing!
- Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (yes, I love Rowell!) is my boyfriend's pick for the month of April and I think it will be great!
- The last one is an untranslated Danish book called Skyggeporten by Lene Kaaberbøl! It's the last book of hers that I own and have yet to read! I've read all the others this year actually!
So, that's my reading stack! I'm also planning on listening to Flawed since I have about 4 hours left and it's perfect for when I have to do chores or need to rest my eyes! I of course have some back up books like The Book Thief and Violets & Violence.
The snacks and beverages
I told you I liked to prepare snacks - well, I basically prepare everything when it comes to food and beverages!
- For fruit I have raspberries, bananas and green grapes!
- For biscuits and crackers I have chocolate chip cookies ready to be baked!And I have something called crystal cookies which is a meringue on top of a cracker - delicious.
- Chips are green pringles and 'cannonballs' which is like cheese shrimps but with cheddar and in balls!
- I also have chocolate! I love munching on chocolate while reading but I don't always feel like it.
- Lastly I have some pretzels, walnuts, raisins and almonds!
When it comes to beverages I have;
- Water! Either basic with ice cubes or with lemon and lime infusion!
- I also have bubbly water with a taste of blueberry - yes, this year I try being more healthy with my options!
- Since I have a sore throat hot cocoa with marshmallows and chocolate drizzle is a must!
- I of course have an extensive collection of tea but I'm thinking strawberry tea, my green/white pomegranate tea and earl grey.
- I always have some faxe kondi on hand which gives a great energy boost and since I've been craving apple cider for a while - I have apple cider!
I always buy a ton and never eat everything but most of it can keep so it's not so bad! The fruit is always eaten so at least I'm no too unhealthy!
When it comes to prepping I try to buy everything a few days in advance and the fruit the day before! I prepped the dough for my cookies some hours ago and I'm doing a test run right now! Looking forward to tasting them! Since I have to sing in our church tomorrow I only have 2 hours before the readathon starts - since it begins at 2 pm here in Denmark. I'm planning on making my infused water after church and getting the snacks in different bowls so I don't have to worry about that!
Lunch tomorrow is probably going to be a sandwich and dinner is tomato soup! So it doesn't take too long and it tastes great!
I don't plan on updating too much on here since it takes a lot of time from reading. I'm primarily going to do updates on instagram and they always go up on twitter! I might update on here in stages though instead of small updates at a time. I'll do an 'in reflection' post on Sunday or Monday!
I can't wait to read with you guys!