23 December 2014

Reflecting on 2014

In the beginning of the year I made some bookish resolutions and I tried to stick to them in the beginning of the year.. Until I forgot everything about them.

My first resolution was to read 50 books, which I definitely did - I've read a total of 105 books, one of them I read twice.
The second was to read 3 classics and I guess you could say I completed that one as well; I read Erasmus Montanus eller Rasmus Berg (a Danish classic), How to be Good by Nick Hornby, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. How to be Good and The Bell Jar are modern classics - but still classics.
The third was one of the ones I didn't really make since I wanted to read the books I already own - and that didn't go so well. I tried and I've definitely read a bunch, but I've mainly read books for review and some from the library. I still read some of the ones on my shelves though.
I really regret adding this one to the mix but in the beginning of the year I wanted to review all the books I read - which is the worst idea ever and I made a post about it not that long after because it sucked. Reading isn't fun if you have to review every single book.
I succeeded my fifth resolution which was to use the library more and cut back on buying books. These last 6 months I've bought 10 books tops and I used the library a lot in the beginning of the year but not so much these last couple of months - I've still not bought that many books!
My sixth resolution was to venture out of my comfort zone.. Meh.. I guess I ventured a bit, but not as much as I'd anticipated. I read some new adult, I tried historical fiction but I didn't really like it and I found that I really enjoy fantasy and women's fiction / chick-lit.
I also failed miserably at another resolution which was to participate in read-a-thons. I really tried, but I've been quite sick and I fell asleep after two hours of the 24-hour read-a-thon back in October.
I've succeeded my eighth resolution which was to read the books from Netgalley - although I had 7 books when I started and now about 30, my feedback ratio is still a lot higher and have reached 80 multiple times.
The last 2 resolutions was to create a mini-series (for the blog) and write a story - I failed both.. I also wanted to re-read some books and I re-read The Bell Jar (read it twice this year) and Alice in Tumblr-land.
I guess I reached most of my 'goals' which is great, I still want to try and reach some of the ones I failed at though.

In my Looking Ahead part in the 'End of the Year Survey - 2013' I said I wanted to buy and read The Book Thief at the first opportunity I got - I bought the book and I tried to read it.. But I hated it.. I tried to force my way through it but after 250 pages I had to stop, it's just not a book for me I guess.
I also said that my two most anticipated books were Unmarked (The Legion #2) by Kami Garcia, Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy and Shattered (Slated #3) by Teri Terry. I haven't even looked at Unmarked or Shattered and I absolutely hated Side Effects May Vary - great choices apparently.


Things that happened in 2014... Well, I made an account on Instagram and I'm kind of addicted now. I also became a reviewer for Hot Key Books (and apparently Piccadilly Books) and Lindhardt & Ringhof (a Danish publishing company). I also received my very first physical books for review as well as being nominated for the Liebster Blog Award.


That was 2014 for me! It was not that eventful but it was still a great year! How was 2014 for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment