8 July 2015

Delving in to the classics, Do's and Dont's

Classics are staple in literature and for some people some of them, if not all, are basically must reads. Personally I tend to avoid classics but sometimes I feel as if I should or rather have to read a bunch of classics because as I said, they're a staple. I'm not saying that you should read no classics or read a bunch of classics - if you want to read classics it should be done the right way, otherwise you're going to end up despising it.
Since I recently re-discovered my love for classics I thought I'd give some tips or advice on how to read more classics, or how to start reading classics.


DO start with the shorter classics
If you're new to classics I would say you should start with shorter books. Classics, at least some, can be quite hard to get through if you're used not used to it.
I can't help recommending 'Ten Little Niggers' or 'And Then There Were None' (as it's called now). It's wonderfully intriguing. The Catcher in the Rye is also quite a fast read and the language is not hard to understand either.
If you like manga then try the 'Manga Classics' by Stacy King, I've enjoyed a bunch of them.

DO read your favorite genres
My best advice is to first figure out which genres you prefer and then find classics accordingly. If you like romance then find some classics in that genre - I recommend Jane Austen. This is the perfect time for a bunch of recommendations, so here you go:
If you like dystopia, books like The Hunger Games and such, I recommend Lord of the Flies by William Golding and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. If you're more of a contemporary reader then maybe The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger or The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath is up your alley

DO take it slowly
Some books you can read in a single sitting or a couple of sittings - classics are, for the most part, not books you can read that quickly. Maybe you can but I definitely do not recommend it. I think classics are meant to be pleasure reading, read them slowly at a great pace and don't worry how long it takes you to finish it. Just enjoy the ride.

DO watch movie trailers
This is one I use every so often. If you have trouble imagining the setting then I suggest you might watch the movie trailer, it will have some spoilers but you will get a better idea of the setting and the scenery. I don't recommend watching the whole movie before reading it though, if you know the ending you're probably less inclined to finish the book


DONT make reading classics a chore
I had this period of time when I was younger where I tried to read all the classics, I found a list of classics and basically checked them all out of the library and reading them felt like a chore. Needless to say that was not a good idea.
So just pick out the ones you actually want to read and actually intrigue you - don't read e.g. The Lord of the Rings just because it's a classic.

DONT start with the bricks
If you're like me you have this weird goal of reading Les Miserables and Anna Karenina, both of those books are quite old and both of them are seriously bricks - they're so big! The worst thing you can do is starting with these beast or read them when you're just starting with the classics.

DONT start with the spinoffs
The only 'spin-off' I can recommend before reading the actual classic is the Manga Classics, otherwise stick to the classics and the read the spinoffs if you enjoyed the classic!
If you read a bad spin off you probably don't want to read the original.

DONT compare classics to newer literature
Classics can be a bit harder to read and what I've read have been very different from newer literature and I think comparing the two (whether it be writing style, plot etc.) can be dangerous. Newer literature is easier to read but I think classics are worth the trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment