1 March 2015

Turning 18 and reaching milestones

So, I'm turning 18 tomorrow and I somehow felt inspired to write a post before my birthday. At first I had no idea what to write about, but suddenly I came across an idea. Milstones and highlights of my bookish life so far. It's been 17 years with both ups and downs and even though I've not loved every bit of it it's still my life and I want to look back and take a trip down memory-lane.


I can't remember when I found my love for reading as a child, but I, strangely enough, didn't read that much as a child. I loved to draw and I loved to sing back then. I actually joined the choir when I started attending school when I was 5-years-old and I still actually still sing a lot. I haven't been to choir for a couple of years though. I remember reading a lot when I was around 8-11. We lived in the country so there was a librarybus - instead of an actual library - and I always visited when it was in town. I found somewhere I belonged in books and they were my place to be at the time. I also remember a special summer, when I was around 12 or 13, where I read the entire Harry Potter series - it was great.  I stopped reading again until 14 or 15 - then I really started reading and I've only been in short slumps (a few weeks at most) since then.


Some milestones I've reached and important 'events' (since 2011)
I discovered goodreads in October 2011, which is why it's my milestones since then. 

  • The first year I read 100+ books was 2013. 2013 is actually the year I read the absolute most (119 according to goodreads)
  • The first book I ever gave 5 stars was Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden - back in 2011
  • The longest book I've ever read is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4) by J.K. Rowling. A whopping 796 pages
  • I gave 30 books 5 stars in 2014 - the highest number of 5 star reads in a year. 
  • I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time in 2012
  • I've just read my first 'erotica'! - Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James and I read my first New Adult book in 2014
  • In 2013 I discovered that I absolutely love retellings and dystopia
  • I read my very first historical fiction book in 2012 and hated it.. 
  • I read my first nonfiction book in 2013
  • I've read all of Dan Brown's books - I read the last one in the end of 2014. I've also read all of Rainbow Rowell's books.
  • I became a reviewer in 2013 - and started receiving physical books for review in 2014. 
  • I started 'instagramming' in February 2014 and I started blogging in October 2013



Confessions
I figured, in spirit of Colleen Hoover's new book; Confess, that I should confess some things - some of them may be a bit shameful. I actually wrote a post with a bunch of shameful book confessions a while back - so consider this an extension!

  • I can't remember whether I've actually read the last book in the Harry Potter series and I don't know if I want to because I know it'll break me
  • I started Fifty Shades of Grey last year in August or September and I've literally just finished it. Because of the ending I had to pick up the second book immediately and I enjoyed it way more. It might be one of the best things I've read this year so far. 
  • I claim that Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors, yet I've only read Pride and Prejudice. 
  • I bingeread series - and preferred series - before I really got into reading. Now I never read series.. I definitely prefer trilogies, duologies or standalones now. 
  • I've read Hunger Games 3 times. I read it in 2012, then received it for my birthday in the same year and read it again - so I read it 2 times in the course of 2 months... 
  • The only book by John Green I haven't read yet is Paper Towns. I loved The Fault in Our Stars but all his other books have fallen flat for me.. I've not enjoyed them nearly as much.
  • I hate reading anthologies but I do enjoy a short story or novella once in a while
  • I love the idea of reading classics but I don't really read them. I just say I will. 


Looking ahead
So, I have some things I want to get better at and I have some things I am looking forward to in the future. So here it is - the very last list of my post 
  • In the future I want to get better at reading series and actually finish the series I start
  • I want to get better at reading classics 
  • I want to get better at reading my own books instead of prioritizing library books and books I receive for review all the time. 
  • I also want to get better at interacting with you guys! I want to write more posts or just better posts - I want to have a better blog. 
  • Reading books that I actually really really want to read and not just think - sounds good - is something I have to get better at. I want to start thinking: "Is this a book I think I'm going to enjoy?" - sometimes I read the book even though I have a feeling it's going to disappoint me.
  • I really want to stop using netgalley as much as I do. The majority of the books I read are from netgalley and I want to stop that 

Is there anything you want to change about your life. If so, what?    

No comments:

Post a Comment